Monday, June 29, 2015

34 weeks!




How far along: 34 weeks!

How long to go: 6 weeks till my due date!

Mama thoughts: I was feeling very overwhelmed and unprepared the afternoon after my baby shower and the following morning, thinking about everything we still " need" for baby. I was pretty emotional about feeling inadequately prepared, with not having the nursery ready, not having a stroller or crib mattress. I talked with a few wise women, and my pastor prayed over my hubby and I at church, Rory and I also got work done in the nursery after our parenting class yesterday. I am feeling better now. My pastor's prayers were very spot on when He said you aren't prepared, and that's the beauty of the Lord, He will give you what you need when you need it. And I know He wasn't just talking about physical items, but more then that, Jesus will give us everything we need to be the best parents we can be, when we need it. Love, grace, mercy, strength, endurance, etc.  

Nursery: We got the crib wall finished yesterday and I organized the newborn baby clothes I have, feeling a lot better about having more then enough.

Movement: I sure do love feeling the rolls and twists this baby is doing in my belly!! It's amazing that the larger this little one grows the more distinct the movements. In church yesterday, I felt the baby roll, and had Rory put his hand on that spot and the baby rolled across my stomach right where his hand was. It was so neat! 

Sleep: Sleeping pretty good, lots of tossing and turning, but I'm finally starting to train my body to sleep on the left side, which is best for baby at this point because it's getting heavy, and when I sleep on my right side or back, the weight of the baby pushes on important veins and nerves that deliver oxygen and blood to the placenta, so I'm trying my hardest to sleep for only short periods of time on my back or right side 
( the side I always slept on pre-pregnancy) and sleep more on my left side.

How do I feel: I feel great. Some days are harder then others. I have been having Braxton Hicks contractions at work, so I try and drink lots of water and take more frequent sitting  breaks. Being on my feet at work is bringing on those " practice" contractions. I've also been drinking Raspberry Leaf tea ( not as tasty as it sounds) which is supposed to help my body get ready for labor. Here's more information on the benefits: Raspberry Leaf Tea and Labor.

I'm also going to start eating dates one month before my due 
date ( July 10th) because a friend said it is supposed to help mom's go into labor naturally and right on time, she and three other friends tried it and all had their babies right around their due dates! 

Parenting classes: Rory, Seth, Rachel & I, are going through material for parenting called: "Preparation for Parenting" by Gary and Anne Mary Ezzo. A couple from our church teach the lessons, and so far we've done three video sessions. The first emphasizes the importance of the family dynamic before baby arrives and how important the marriage relationship is for Children's well being. It also talks a lot about the " why" behind what we do as parents, even from day one, and helps new parents understand the impact these choices have on the rest of your babies life. I sum it up like this: BE INTENTIONAL
we want to be intentional and specific with what we're doing for our child, the habits we're forming and the schedules and routines we're maintaining. Dave our leader put it this way, so perfectly put: " If you don't know the why behind what you're doing, you'll do what's easiest, and that isn't always whats best for you or your baby." That is wisdom. When I am cranky tired and it's 3am, and I don't know why I'm doing what I'm doing, I will do whats easiest, IE: convenient and habit forming. It was a good lesson. 
Yesterday we went through two video sessions, the first on setting good eating patterns with baby, and spending your first 10 days getting full feedings, without any kind of schedule, learning hunger cues and sleeping ( lots). I love knowing the what to do, and having very specific direction with schedules and feedings. What I love about this book and their philosophy is that the ideal schedule should look something like this: hunger cue + clock + P.A. ( parental assessment: which is as it sounds, using our God given ability to know what our child needs) = feeding time.
Basically it isn't a clock or baby led system, it's a little of both and your discernment as a parent. 
It's neither free spirited (baby led) nor legalistic ( clock led)

It's a very real life approach to parenting your child and setting them and their little bodies up for success. This book also highly encourages not using sleeping aids ( rocking chair or swing) or co-sleeping, which is very dangerous for baby and intrudes on Mom and Dad's sacred space. Another thing I love about this book!

I feel so much more prepared after reading up and attending these sessions, with wise godly parents who have lived this out and have wonderful children as a result. Many of the families I admire and respect in my church followed this with their children and I see the results. It's wonderful. 


Additional Information: This week your baby is clocking in at five pounds and could be as tall as 20 inches. In other baby-related developments, those tiny fingernails have probably reached the tips of his fingers by now — and getting ready for that first postpartum manicure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment